About Midland Funding LLC and Midland Credit Management
According to its website, “Midland Funding LLC is one of the nation’s largest buyers of unpaid debt.” “Midland Funding LLC is the creditor or owner of debt obligations while its affiliate, Midland Credit Management (MCM), is a licensed debt collector who services accounts.”
Midland Credit Management attempts to collect on accounts through calls, written communications, and filing lawsuits across the U.S., including Texas. Midland regularly files credit card lawsuits on credit card debts they have purchased. They will then attempt to obtain a judgment and pursue post-judgment collection efforts.
Are Midland Funding and Midland Credit Management a Scam?
Midland Funding, LLC and Midland Credit Management are not scam companies. They are legitimate debt buying and collection companies, so it is important to take collection action by them seriously. However, even though these are not scam companies, it is important to ensure that there is evidence and documentation to support the balances they are claiming owed, to ensure that they own the accounts in question, and to ensure they have followed state and federal law when attempting to collect a debt.
What Should I Do If Midland Sues Me?
- It is important to ensure that an answer to the lawsuit is timely filed after you are served with the lawsuit. DO NOT IGNORE A LAWSUIT!
- Ensure Midland has proof of the claimed debt amount and ensure the amount is accurate (confirm all payments and offsets have been applied)
- Ensure Midland has sufficient evidence to prove ownership of the debt
- Ensure suit was filed within the statute of limitations
- Assert all other possible affirmative defenses
- Review all collection activity by Midland to ensure there are no potential counterclaims for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act or Texas Debt Collection Act
- Determine whether to fight the case or pursue a settlement resolution
You may want to seek the advice of a knowledgeable consumer defense attorney to ensure your rights are protected and ensure you do not end up with an adverse outcome that could have been avoided or minimized. Contact us for a free consultation.